Home Community

Community

News, events, and community information for Freeport and Niceville, Florida, including Hammock Bay and Bluewater Bay areas surrounding the Choctawhatchee Bay.

By Heather Bennett Hope is an optimistic feeling, based on the desire or wish for a positive outcome. Hope can also be faith in the unknown. For HOPE Project, Inc., hope means Healing Our Patriots With Equines. Through equine therapy, this nonprofit organization is giving hope to veterans, first responders...
By Lori Leath Smith A true local, Tricia Brunson, Niceville Valparaiso Chamber President and CEO, was raised in our area and has served as a Chamber of Commerce executive for more than 24 years investing in the local business community. This has led the Chamber to persevere and thrive even...
As Hurricane Sally made her way across the Florida Panhandle, the Habitat ReStore in Walton County was left with 19 inches of standing water in their store and throughout their entire property. Unfortunately, the flooding caused extensive damage and destroyed all of the inventory the ReStore had on hand...
By Jennie Mckeon, Wuwf, Npr For Florida’s Great Northwest, wuwf.org When disaster strikes, Laurie Hood, founder of Alaqua Animal Refuge, is usually one of the first people to hitch her trailer and rescue domestic, farm or even exotic animals. But after the refuge took in over 30 inches of rain from...
Northwest Florida State College (NWFSC) is a change agent – a vibrant, dynamic community of educators and learners dedicated to engaging with every organization, entity and industry possible for the purpose of opening doors of opportunity. Our successes come from building collaborative partnerships throughout our region; being responsive to...
By Alison “Ali” Jean, CBA Education Technician My title may be an Education Technician, but I am a multi-faceted employee at Choctawhatchee Basin Alliance (CBA). Of the many roles I play within our organization, my favorite is the manager of our Choctawhatchee Oyster Gardening Program where volunteer oyster gardeners raise oysters...
Freeport High School 9/25 7 PM Rocky Bayou Christian, Niceville Away 10/2 7 PM Chipley Homecoming 10/9 7 PM Baker Away 10/16 7 PM Jay HOME 10/23 7 PM Opponent TBA Sunshine State Conference 10/30 7 PM South Walton Away/Battle of the Bay 11/6 7 PM Hilliard Away Niceville High School 9/18 7 PM Niceville HOME 9/4 7...
Dog-Harmony Inc., a non-profit that works to keep dogs out of shelters through education, is offering free training advice for rescued dogs with behavioral problems, such as jumping, leash pulling, potty-training and separation anxiety. Nancy Bown, Dog-Harmony’s founder and Certified Professional Dog Trainer – Knowledge Assessed (CPDT – KA)...
In September of 2019, Hurricane Dorian ripped through the Bahamas as a Category 5 hurricane causing catastrophic damage and wreaking havoc across the Abaco Islands and Grand Bahama Island with rain and wind gusts up to 220 miles per hour. Alaqua Animal Refuge Founder Laurie Hood worked with national...