Home Community

Community

News, events, and community information for Freeport and Niceville, Florida, including Hammock Bay and Bluewater Bay areas surrounding the Choctawhatchee Bay.

I Was at the Capital

By JoDell Haverfield, Have Travel Memories Relax, you can’t turn me in, because I wasn’t at the capitol on Jan 6, 2021. I know February is Valentine’s Day. However, I can’t ignore the current vibe in our Nation’s Capital as we enter the month of love, heart shaped candy, chocolates,...
By Anna McKay It’s often said that leaving a positive impact on the world begins at home. After over two years of community restoration projects following the destruction caused by Hurricane Michael, The Sonder Project is returning to its roots as a non-profit focusing on sustainable development in Africa. Its...
By Lori Leath Smith They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway They say there’s always magic in the air… From “On Broadway” – sung by George Benson; written by Barry Mann / Cynthia Weil / Jerry Leiber / Mike Stoller Magic is just what Niceville native Nicholas Ward has conjured up...
52nd Annual Banquet to be held at the Mattie Kelly Arts Center Feb. 20 from 6-9 p.m. By Lori Leath Smith Each February, many of the area’s top high school, collegiate, amateur, professional, Special Olympics athletes, and individuals who have fostered youth activities are honored during the annual All Sports Association’s (ASA)...
By Lisa Turpin There’s a new sheriff in town! On January 5th, newly elected Sheriff Eric Aden was sworn into office. Sheriff Aden is a true Okaloosa County native—born at Eglin Airforce Base, is a 1990 graduate of Choctaw High School and a Northwest Florida State College alumni. He says...
Impact100 NWF has begun recruitment for its 2021 membership base. Membership events are being virtually conducted from Grant Recipient locations throughout our community. During these events you will learn more about what Impact100 NWF does in the community, meet some of its members virtually and understand how our grants...
Northwest Florida State College’s call to action in 2021 is to promote engagement in the classroom, on our campuses and around the community. Led by our commitment to improve lives throughout the region, we are leaning into the new year with great anticipation for continued success and excellence. Using the...
The Sexual Assault Survivors Support Circle offers a safe, non-threatening and confidential setting for survivors of sexual violence to talk and process their feelings within a group setting with others who have experienced similar trauma. They meet every Tuesday from 10:30 -11:30 a.m. Issues such as trust, anger, grief,...

Bay Buzz January 2021

New President at CALM Organization, Inc. Crisis Aid for Littles and Moms (CALM) Organization, Inc. is proud to announce that Chanie Erb has been selected as the President of the Board of Directors effective January 11, 2021 - September 2022. For over three years, Chanie has been a strong supporter...
Okaloosa County Superintendent Marcus Chambers: As we move into the second semester, beginning January 26th, keep in mind that students can continue in the mySchool Online (MSO) program or transition back to their brick and mortar school. Before the holidays, the parents of struggling MSO students received a letter, phone...