Home Community

Community

News, events, and community information for Freeport and Niceville, Florida, including Hammock Bay and Bluewater Bay areas surrounding the Choctawhatchee Bay.

Thanks for taking the time to read our fun, informative column for some basic laundry tips and tricks! Every few months we will go over helpful and creative ideas to combat stains, eliminate smells, dispel myths, etc. In this issue, we want to talk about white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide....
Northwest Florida State College is transforming the economy of our region by providing the future workforce — ONE STUDENT, ONE OPPORTUNITY, ONE POSSIBILITY at a time. One-half of the nation’s undergraduates are served by the community college system, proving that state colleges provide a life-changing impact on our community. In...
“Coyotes are found throughout Florida and they are part of the landscape,” said Greg Kaufmann, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) Wildlife Assistance Program Administrator. “There is a strong possibility coyotes are in your community, even if you are living in an urban part of the state.” Protect your...
Eight new sculptures were recently added to the nation’s first permanent Underwater Museum of Art (UMA) in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Grayton Beach State Park in South Walton. Named by TIME Magazine as one of 100 “World’s Greatest Places,” the UMA is the first presentation of...
Fifteen local non-profit organizations have been selected to compete for more than $85,000 in cash prizes at the 10th annual Smoke on the Coast BBQ & Fireworks Festival July 3, 2021. Each non-profit organization teams up with a restaurant or BBQ aficionado and fires up their grills for years’ worth...

Bird Count 2020

By Malcolm Mark Swan Lots of people turned to bird watching during the past year, seeking enjoyment and relaxation. Tree swallows, bluebirds, finches and other birds are doing their part to lift human spirits. Many of our area locals participated in The Christmas Bird Count, the longest running citizen-science program that...

Bay Buzz

Freeport Merchants Association (FMA) Has a New Website If you’re looking to get introduced to Freeport businesses, the Association’s new website is a great resource. Visit thefma.online. Here you’ll find area resources, news, a business directory, events and how to join the FMA. Geek Lights Fans Donate Over $7,000 to C.A.L.M. The...

I Was at the Capital

By JoDell Haverfield, Have Travel Memories Relax, you can’t turn me in, because I wasn’t at the capitol on Jan 6, 2021. I know February is Valentine’s Day. However, I can’t ignore the current vibe in our Nation’s Capital as we enter the month of love, heart shaped candy, chocolates,...
By Anna McKay It’s often said that leaving a positive impact on the world begins at home. After over two years of community restoration projects following the destruction caused by Hurricane Michael, The Sonder Project is returning to its roots as a non-profit focusing on sustainable development in Africa. Its...
By Lori Leath Smith They say the neon lights are bright on Broadway They say there’s always magic in the air… From “On Broadway” – sung by George Benson; written by Barry Mann / Cynthia Weil / Jerry Leiber / Mike Stoller Magic is just what Niceville native Nicholas Ward has conjured up...